Inspection Requirements


POSTING OF PERMIT:  Work requiring a permit shall not commence until the permit holder or his agent post the permit card in a conspicuous place on the premises.  The permit shall be protected from the weather and located in such a position as to allow the building official or representative to conveniently make required entries thereon.  The permit card shall be maintained in such a position by the permit holder until the Certificate of Occupancy is issued.  Before any inspections can be made the 911 address must be posted on the site.

The following is a list of required inspections.  Some may or may not apply depending on the type of construction.  In addition to this list of inspections. the field inspector, based on the type of construction may require other inspections not specifically noted on this list.


TS: Temporary Service
Electrical service for use at project site during the construction period.
FT: Footing
To be made after footers are excavated.  All horizontal steel must be in place in footers.  Vertical steel must be on site.  Termite certificate is required.  Compaction report is required.
CR: Core

All vertical steel piers and continuous wall assemblies shall be in place and anchoring devices on site.  Flood Elevation Certificate and as built foundation survey must be in the file.

FS: Floor Strapping

All anchoring devices installed at piers and continuous walls to floor assembly.

RP:  Rough Plumbing

All under slab rough plumbing in place.  Water & DWV test required.

SL: Slab

Slab ready to pour, footing excavated with all horizontal steel reinforcement in place.  All vertical anchoring devices if not already in place, shall be on site and have placement location identified on form boards.  Termite certificate required.  Elevation certificate required if in a flood zone.  As built foundation survey required.  Compaction report is required.

ST: Strapping
All exterior wall sheathing and roof framing members anchoring devices installed, (EXPOSED FOR INSPECTION).  As built survey foundation required. 
RI: Rough-in
On new structures, FR, PL, EL, AND HVAC must all be complete before calling for inspection.  Elevation certificate required if in a flood zone.  All plate penetrations to be form filled at this time.
FR: Framing

All framing completed.  At least one step of code approved stairs to each floor level required.

PL: Plumbing Rough-in

All plumbing stub outs complete.  After the roof, framing, fire blocking and bracing are in place.  Plumbing pressure is required.

EL: Electrical Rough-in

All wiring to be concealed in ceiling or wall membranes shall be installed.  To be done after roof, framing, fire blocking and bracing is in place.

HV: HVAC Rough-in

All ductwork and electrical wiring for heating and air to be installed prior to this inspection.

IN: Insulation

All concealed insulation to be place.

PS: Permanent Service

Approved set of plans at the job site.  All electrical installations to be complete or properly terminated.  At least one set of final code approved stairs to each level.  Final septic tank approval or sewer approval is required.

For commercial:  Permanent service affidavit is required.

CO: Certificate of Occupancy

Building must meet all requirements for immediate occupancy.  An original finished construction elevation certificate required if in a flood zone.

For commercial:  Fire Department approval, certificate of compliance from Beaufort County Engineering Department and DHEC approval if restaurant or pool is required before CO inspection.


You first need to obtain a zoning permit from the Zoning Department.  Listed below are the items required for obtaining a zoning permit:

  • Three site plans with the structure located on the site plan giving the setbacks from the property lines.
  • Septic tank permit or sewer
  • 911 address

After receiving a zoning permit you would come to the Building Codes Office with the following:

  • Building permit application
  • Contractor's name, address, telephone number, state license and Beaufort County Business license number
  • List of subcontractors with their state and Beaufort County Business license number.
  • Two sets of building drawings or blueprints
  • Plans must include HVAC plan (Manual J, load calcs, duct size and layout), Plumbing plan (riser diagram and water supply for fixture unit), Electrical plan (panel location and load calcs), and RES Check document.
  • You will need to be prepared to pay a building permit fee and if applicable impact fees upon submittal of the permit.
  • Once the permit is reviewed and entered into the computer, you will be notified to come and pick up the permit

Customers will need to take the following paperwork to the Zoning Office for a zoning permit:

  • Three copies of a plat or site plan of the property where the mobile home will be placed.
  • Copy of a septic tank final permit unless the mobile home is replacing an existing home.
  • Physical address for the property where the mobile home is being placed.

After getting the zoning permit the customer will need to bring the following to the Building Codes Office in order to get a placement permit:

  • Title of the mobile home in new owners name. (Dealers may use bill of sale and title application receipt)
  • Two copies of plat or site plan with zoning approval stamp.
  • Copy of zoning permit.
  • Septic tank final permit. (Unless replacing an existing home)
  • Proof of Wind Zone II
  • If home is pre-owned, provide previous owners name.
  • Impact fee assessment.

Once the mobile home has been placed on the property and set up you will need to get an inspection in order to obtain power. The following will be necessary to get the miscellaneous permit:

  1. An electrical affidavit from a registered electrician or an owner affidavit if the owner plans to do their own wiring.
  2. If the mobile home is in a flood zone before it is placed it will be necessary to get a surveyor to put a benchmark on the property in order to know how high to set the mobile home. Once the mobile home is on the property the surveyor will need to go back and give you a flood certificate to certify that the mobile home and the air conditioner platform is set up at the proper height.
  3. Once the mobile home is ready for inspection call and request an inspection (843) 255-2078. You will call by 4:00 pm and the inspection will be done the following day. The mobile home needs to be open or someone needs to be there because we have to get inside the mobile home. The silver decal and the address needs to be on the mobile home in order to get your inspection. Once the inspection is done and passes we will contact the power company and let them know that the power can be turned on. You will need to get with the power company and apply for power, prior to the inspection.

If you are moving a mobile home out of Beaufort County we will need a paid tax receipt for the mobile home for the current year.

The International Building Code (IBC-18) requires special inspections be performed on buildings constructed within the scope of Chapter 17.  

  1. The Beaufort County Building Codes department will follow the State mandated Special Inspection Manual as published by the South Carolina Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation.
  2. Monitoring of Special Inspectors:
    1.  The Deputy Building Code Director will require contact information on the selected Special Inspectors for the project.
    2. County Building Inspector assigned to the project will contact the Special Inspector to schedule a site visit to witness his/her work for quality assurance. 

Special Inspection Requirements

Questions: Please email the Deputy Building Code Director at